TOKYO--(Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO:6503) announced today that it has shipped its milestone 2,000th turbine generator, a 682,000 kVA unit, to a thermal power plant owned by Dominion Virginia Power, a subsidiary of Dominion Resources, Inc., in Warren County, Virginia in the United States.)--
Mitsubishi Electric, the leading company in the Japanese generator market, has continuously expanded its global market since it started manufacturing turbine generators in 1908. The company completed a large expansion of its generator factory in Kobe in March 2012, increasing production capacity in order to be equivalent to the growth of world-wide electric power demand. Owing to the expansion, the factory has also become capable of producing world's largest-class (2,000MVA) generators.
Milestones in Mitsubishi Electric's generator production
- 1908 – Mitsubishi Shipyard (Nagasaki, Japan), made first turbine generator.
- 1921 – Mitsubishi Electric Corporation was founded.
- 1923 – Mitsubishi Electric began production of turbine generators in Nagasaki.
- 1963 – Mitsubishi Electric began production of turbine generators in Kobe.
- 1976 – Made Japan's largest capacity (1,300,000 kVA) generator.
- 1981 – Cumulative production of generators reached 1,000 units.
- 1996 – Made world's largest-class (286,000 kVA) air-cooled generator.
- 2000 – Made world's largest-class (1,600,000 kVA) generator.
- 2004 – Developed and began production of highly-efficient indirect hydrogen-cooled generators for gas turbine combined cycle*.
- Mar. 2012 – Completed factory expansion in Kobe, increasing production capacity by approximately 30% per annum.
- Oct. 2012 – Has shipped its milestone 2,000th turbine generator.
* Gas turbine combined cycle (GTCC) power stations use gas and steam turbines in combination to generate electricity in two stages, utilizing high-temperature exhaust gas from the gas turbine to produce the steam to drive the steam turbine. This configuration enables GTCC power plants to achieve a higher thermal efficiency, which in turn reduces fuel consumption and lower emissions.
Units shipped by region
|Asia (excl. Japan)||394 units|
|Middle East||194 units|
|Oceania, Africa, etc.||47 units|
About Dominion Virginia Power
Dominion Virginia Power, a subsidiary of Dominion, is a public utility that provides services in electricity generation, transmission and distribution. Dominion is one of the North Americas' largest producers and transporters of energy with a portfolio of approximately 28,000 megawatts of generation, 11,000 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline and 6.300 miles of electric transmission lines in the area of Virginia and North Carolina.
About Mitsubishi Electric
With over 90 years of experience in providing reliable, high-quality products, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO: 6503) is a recognized world leader in the manufacture, marketing and sales of electrical and electronic equipment used in information processing and communications, space development and satellite communications, consumer electronics, industrial technology, energy, transportation and building equipment. Embracing the spirit of its corporate statement, Changes for the Better, and its environmental statement, Eco Changes, Mitsubishi Electric endeavors to be a global, leading green company, enriching society with technology. The company recorded consolidated group sales of 3,639.4 billion yen (US$ 44.4 billion*) in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012. For more information visit http://www.MitsubishiElectric.com
*At an exchange rate of 82 yen to the US dollar, the rate given by the Tokyo Foreign Exchange Market on March 31, 2012