IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--St. Louis Rams cornerback Cortland Finnegan has earned the top spot on Brand Affinity Technologies' (BAT) monthly ranking of 'Rising Sports Stars.' The monthly list calculates those with the most significant leap in popularity during the previous 30 days and reflects athletes poised to stir up huge fan and advertising followings.
After following head coach Jeff Fisher to St. Louis from Tennessee, Finnegan already has three interceptions within his first four games as part of the Rams. He is on pace to shatter his career high of five interceptions in a season, which he set in 2008 and matched in 2009. The 5-foot-8, 188-pound cornerback is also among the Rams’ tackle leaders and currently trails Chicago’s Tim Jennings for the NFL interception lead.
San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis is second on the Rising Stars list. Considered one of the fastest players on the 49ers, Davis emerged as Alex Smith's number one receiving option during the 2012 playoffs. He scored two touchdowns in the 49ers' 27-19 win over the Detroit Lions earlier in the month, and he currently is tied for the NFL lead with four receiving touchdowns.
“This month’s list highlights some of the fastest and most aggressive players on the field today, which helps increase their individual brand value within their respective industries,” said Ryan Steelberg, CEO of Brand Affinity Technologies. “This list is incredibly valuable for our advertisers looking to find athletes showcasing elite athleticism and a strong fan following.”
For October, the list includes numerous athletes excelling in their respective sport, including:
- Cortland Finnegan (St. Louis Rams): After joining the Rams in the offseason as a free agent, Finnegan’s game is proving he is a versatile, aggressive player with great mental acumen. Finnegan knows how to position himself on the field breaking up passes, tackling, and excelling at various defensive positions.
- Vernon Davis (San Francisco 49ers): Davis has let his game speak louder than his words as he is tied for the lead among all tight ends with 4 TDs this season. Overall, he is stacked with athleticism and may very well be one of fastest players on the 49ers team due to his amazing combination of size and speed.
- Percy Harvin (Minnesota Vikings): Third in the NFL in receptions, Harvin continues to prove why he is one of the best wide receivers playing the game today. During his rookie season, he became the second youngest player in NFL history to return a kickoff for a touchdown in 2009, then made the 2010 Pro Bowl as a kick returner and led the Vikings with 87 receptions in 2011.
- Brian Matusz (Baltimore Orioles): Since moving to a relief position within the Orioles rotation in August, Matusz has not let an earned run cross the plate on his watch in his last 11 appearances.
- Kevin Ogletree (Dallas Cowboys): Ogletree has emerged as a reliable option for a battered group of Cowboys wide receivers, responding with eight catches for 114 yards and two touchdowns for an opening day win against the defending Super Bowl Champion New York Giants.
For the full list and additional details go to http://www.brandaffinity.net/RisingStars/October2012/.
Brand Affinity Technologies (BAT) calculates daily consumer affinity based on a proprietary combination of media exposure, performance, awards, popularity, engagement, and fan base, among other indicators, for more than 45,000 athletes and celebrities. The list identifies sports stars with the greatest leap in popularity over the prior 30 days. A meteoric rise may indicate a standout on-the-field performance, off-the-field achievement, or emergence from utility player to celebrity.
About Brand Affinity Technologies (BAT)
Founded in 2007 by Ryan Steelberg (CEO) and Chad Steelberg (CTO & President), Brand Affinity Technologies (BAT) (brandaffinity.net) unlocks the marketing power of celebrity through unique endorsement platforms, interactive experiences and comprehensive research. BAT's patented Endorsement Platform provides the ability to identify, license, and activate talent for cross-media advertising campaigns. Used by prominent brands, including AT&T, Comcast, Ford, Samsung and Sony, BAT has representation agreements with more than 4,000 marquee athletes and celebrities. BAT also offers a free digital solution, Fantapper (fantapper.com), which enables fans to better connect with their favorite celebrities. Reaching over 4.5 million fans per month, Fantapper currently features exclusive content from many stars, including Jim Rome, Drew Brees, Rajon Rondo, Nick Cannon, Peter Facinelli, Ashlee Simpson and more. Connect with BAT on Twitter: @BAT and Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrandAffinityTech.