DUBLIN--(http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/w9lb4z/2012_digital_stora) has announced the addition of the "2012 Digital Storage for Media and Entertainment Report" report to their offering.)--Research and Markets (
“2012 Digital Storage for Media and Entertainment Report”
This report is the tenth report on data storage and emerging applications and the eighth report on data storage and the entertainment and media market published by Coughlin Associates.
Data storage is a key element in the digital transformation of content creation, editing, distribution and reception. Data capacity increases, form factors, lowered product prices and the growing familiarity with digital editing, digital intermediates and various forms of digital distribution are key components in the continued growth and development of entertainment. Because of the large file sizes required for high resolution and stereoscopic images there is increasing demand for high capacity storage devices. The entire content value chain of content creation, editing, archiving, distribution as well as consumer electronics content reception devices provide an accelerating feed-forward mechanism. This drives growth in data storage for all entertainment content applications.
For many archiving and distribution applications where content is relatively static low cost/high capacity ATA storage, optical disks and tape-based storage libraries will predominate. Hard disk drives as well as enterprise SSDs are also used in high performance storage applications where storage cost factors must be combined with performance requirements.
For applications requiring rugged field use or fast playback response flash memory either as cards or solid state drives (SSDs) are becoming more popular.
Due to input form from industry groups, SMPTE survey results and discussions with industry end users and equipment providers we have adjusted some historical model data. Data back to 2010 is shown in this report to help past report clients in interpreting the new data. Some areas have gained in capacity and revenue while some have declined vs. earlier editions of this report.
We list some key points of the report in the following list.
- Creation, Distribution & Conversion of video content creates a huge demand driver for storage device and systems manufacturers
- As image resolution increases and as stereoscopic video becomes more common, storage requirements explode
- The development of HD TV and other high resolution venues in the home and in mobile devices will drive the demand for digital content
- Activity to create capture and display devices for 8K X 4K content is occurring with planned implementation in common media systems by the next
- Active archiving will drive increased use of HDD storage for archiving applications, supplementing tape for long term archives
- Flash memory will find wider use in cameras and content distribution systems
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/w9lb4z/2012_digital_stora