CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HumanaVitality®, a comprehensive wellness solution that incentivizes people to make healthier choices, celebrates 1.5 million members since the program’s launch one year ago. Members active in HumanaVitality use their Vitality Bucks® to obtain music downloads, hotel stays, cameras, apparel and dozens of other goods and services.
HumanaVitality, LLC, a joint venture between health and wellness company Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) and Discovery Holdings Limited, gives employers a powerful tool to measurably help improve the health of their employee population and their employees’ families. HumanaVitality is also available to HumanaOne® members, Humana’s health insurance offering for individuals.
Here’s how HumanaVitality works:
- Members first complete an online health assessment to gain insight into their current state of wellness. They are then encouraged to get a Vitality Check®, which is a simple health screening that can be performed at a biometric screening provider like Concentra® or by their doctor.
- Based on measurable biometric screening data and health assessment results, HumanaVitality creates unique goals and a personalized pathway of activities for each member. For example, the personal pathway would be very different for a triathlete versus someone working to lower high blood pressure.
- Members earn Vitality Points™ for activities such as in-range biometrics results, preventive screenings, health education courses, verified fitness activities and weight loss. Nearly every Vitality Point-earning activity within HumanaVitality is verifiable and measurable.
- Members receive a Vitality Buck for every Vitality Point they earn. Vitality Bucks can be redeemed in the HumanaVitality® Mall for a wide range of items including movie tickets, music downloads, electronics and hotel stays.
“HumanaVitality’s had a very strong first year,” said HumanaVitality CEO Joe Woods. “It’s helped more than 1.5 million members get closer to achieving their wellness goals by personalizing, tracking and rewarding their experience. It’s exciting to see how the program has become a part of so many families’ lives and we’re eager to help more members achieve lifelong well-being.”
“The HumanaVitality program offers a variety of options for members to become engaged in their health in the way they want to,” said HumanaVitality member Maureen Lippy of Louisville, KY. “For example, if you don’t enjoy running you can participate in a nutrition class instead and still receive points to align with your wellness goals.”
During the past year, HumanaVitality has rolled-out several innovations that have pushed the program’s success even further:
- Vitality Kids™ offers a first-of-its-kind wellness solution that enables children who are enrolled in the program to earn Vitality Points for participating in healthy activities, including their participation in children’s sports leagues.
- HumanaVitality also made available to members the ability to seamlessly earn Vitality Points™ for exercising using Ubisoft’s breakthrough Xbox 360® fitness games, “Your Shape®: Fitness Evolved” and “Your Shape®: Fitness Evolved 2012,” available exclusively on Kinect™ for Xbox 360®.
- As of July 1, 2012, employers without Humana medical insurance have the option to implement HumanaVitality when paired with the coaching services of Humana subsidiary LifeSynch®.
“Through the HumanaVitality Kid’s health assessment, I was able to include my son in my effort towards a healthier lifestyle,” said HumanaVitality mom and member Anna Molenaar of Tampa, FL. “Now he encourages me to go for daily walks and stay active.”
HumanaVitality is not an insurance product but is part of Humana’s medical plan offerings for all of its commercial and individual members within approved states.
HumanaVitality, headquartered in Chicago, IL, is a joint venture between Humana Inc. and Discovery Holdings Limited. Humana Inc. partnered with Discovery Holdings Limited because of its 14 years of worldwide experience using behavioral, clinical and actuarial science to motivate individuals to make healthier choices. By integrating rewards with healthy behaviors, the HumanaVitality program provides the tools and support necessary to help Humana members live healthier lives and furthers Humana’s dream To Help People Achieve Lifelong Well-BeingSM. Today HumanaVitality has more than 1.5 million members who are enhancing their health and wellness through a comprehensive integrated approach to lifestyle improvement. For more information about the HumanaVitality program, please visit www.humanavitality.com. You can also find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/humanavitality or follow us on Twitter: @HumanaVitality.