DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/mtrz7z/maldives_telecom) has announced the addition of the "Maldives - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband" report to their offering.
A High Penetration Mobile Market In The Maldives Sees Strong Mobile Broadband Growth
- The Maldives has continued to benefit from its newly competitive market, with overall service improving greatly since the arrival of second mobile operator Wataniya Telecom;
- Wataniya quickly grabbed and held a little less than a quarter of the mobile market;
- A high penetration of 170% at the start of 2012 had finally seen growth in mobile subscribers stall;
- There was growth strong growth in Third Generation (3G) and more advanced services in 2011 and into 2012 as Dhiraagu and Wataniya competed strongly for customers;
- Despite the incumbent Dhiraagu continuing to promote fixed-line services, fixed numbers appeared to have stalled in 2011 and were threatening to decline in 2012;
- With internet services predominately broadband based (more than 90% of the total Internet subscribers), growth in this market segment was encouraging; but internet subscriber penetration was still below 10% coming into 2012;
- An IPO in late 2011 saw the government in the Maldives sell some of its shares in Dhiraaghu; majority shareholder Cable & Wireless continued to hold 52% of shares following the IPO;
- An overall slowing in the national economy in 2009 had, not surprisingly, affected the country's telecom sector; by 2011/2012, however, stronger growth in the economy had returned providing encouraging signs for the next few years and suggesting further growth in the telecom sector.
This report provides an overview of the trends and developments in the telecommunications markets in Maldives.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Executive summary
2. Key statistics
3. Country overview
4. Telecommunications market
5. Regulatory environment
6. Telecommunications infrastructure
7. Internet market
8. Broadband market
9. Mobile communications
10. Broadcasting market
For more information, including full table of contents, please visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/mtrz7z/maldives_telecom