LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With more than 100 products introduced at the CES Unveiled event last night and press day opening today, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)® announces that the 2012 International CES will be the association’s second largest show in history when show floor opens on Tuesday. For a sneak peek at the show floor before it opens, visit CES’s YouTube channel and for a look at the innovation from CES Unveiled, click here.
The 1.851 million net square feet of show floor will open tomorrow, as more than 2,700 companies debut the next generation of innovative products across all sectors of the consumer electronics industry. The 2011 show welcomed 149,529 technology attendees and spanned more than 1.6 million net square feet of exhibit space. The largest CES was in 2008, with a record-breaking 1.857 million net square feet of exhibit space.
“CES is the global stage for innovation,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. “Every major technology company across the globe is participating in force at this year’s CES. While many exhibit on the show floor, others send key executives to conduct meetings, participate in keynote panels, or hold their own events in Las Vegas this week to take advantage of the braintrust of technology professionals gathered here.” In addition to the 2,700 exhibitors at this year’s show, every major tech company, including Apple, Facebook, Twitter, HP and Dell, is sending significant delegations to CES, the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow.
CEA expects this year’s CES will be the most innovative show on record, with more than 20,000 new products slated to be announced this week. While the doors to the 2012 CES show floor officially open on Tuesday, news has already started to leak highlighting new innovations and products before many of these companies have even held their press conferences:
- TV manufacturer Vizio is introducing a line-up of laptops and desktops, including two Ultrabooks.
- Nokia will debut the Lumia 900 smartphone, a Windows Phone with LTE support, to be sold at AT&T this spring.
- Lenovo enters the television market by unveiling the K91Smart TV running Google's Android 4.0.
- LG Electronics announced a variety of LED-based TVs with bezels under 5mm in width for a nearly all-picture look, as well as a 55-inch OLED TV.
- Specialty glass producer Corning plans to introduce Gorilla Glass 2, a harder, thinner and more scratch resistant glass that could pave the way for the production of thinner and sturdier tablets and smartphones.
- Intel plans to offer a slew of affordable Ultrabooks in partnership with HP, Asus, LG and others.
- OLPC announced the XO 3.0 tablet, a tablet for the world’s poorest children.
- Tobii Technology showed new eye-tracking technology that allows users to scroll, play and navigate using their eyes and without touching a mouse.
- Parrot AR Drone 2.0, which was first launched at CES 2010, once again wowed attendees at CESUnveiled last night with better location and orientation sensors.
- SolarFocus’ Kindle e-reader case provides 50 hours of onboard reading light powered by a solar panel on the front of the case.
- 3M Touch Systems, a multi-user, widescreen touch table, allows for an impressive maximum 60 touch points and up to four split screens.
With more than 5,000 members of the press covering the International CES, this week is slated to be packed with new announcements from CE companies of all sizes. According to CNET, “this is the most preshow news we've seen in years, both in terms of formal announcements and flat-out leaks.” Breaking coverage of all the latest CES news can also be found at cesweb.org/news, and B-roll HD footage can be found at www.cesweb.org/press/CES-B-roll.htm. Since 1967, CES has been the launch pad for several major technology innovations.
Note to Journalists: Please note the correct event reference is 2012 International CES. Media information is available in the “For the Press” section of CESweb.org. Media are encouraged to arrive in Las Vegas by Sunday, January 8, 2012 to take advantage of all the preshow press events, including CES Unveiled: The Official Press Event of the 2012 International CES. CES Press Day will be held on Monday, January 9 at The Venetian.
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) is the preeminent trade association promoting growth in the $190 billion U.S. consumer electronics industry. More than 2,000 companies enjoy the benefits of CEA membership, including legislative advocacy, market research, technical training and education, industry promotion, standards development and the fostering of business and strategic relationships. CEA also owns and produces the International CES – The Global Stage for Innovation. All profits from CES are reinvested into CEA’s industry services. Find CEA online: www.CE.org and www.DeclareInnovation.com. Follow CES at www.CESweb.org and through social media: http://facebook.com/InternationalCES; http://twitter.com/IntlCES; http://blog.ce.org/.
2012 International CES
January 10 - 13, 2012, Las Vegas, NV
Digital Music Forum East
February 22 - 23, 2012, New York, NY
CEA Economic Retreat
February 28 - March 2, 2012, Vail, CO
LA Games Conference
April 23 - 24, 2012, Los Angeles, CA
CES on the Hill
April 24, 2012, Washington, D.C.
Digital Patriots Dinner
April 25, 2012, Washington, D.C.
2012 Spring Technology & Standards Forum
May 14 - 18, 2012, Dallas, TX
Producers Guild of America’s Produced By Conference
June 8 - 10, 2012, Culver City, CA
June 25 - 29, 2012, New York, NY
CEA Line Shows
June 27 - 28, 2012, New York, NY
June 2012, New York, NY
July 5 – 8, 2012, Qingdao, China
CEA Industry Forum
October 14 - 17, 2012, San Francisco, CA
CEO Summit and Board Retreat
October 17 - 19, 2012, CA
CES New York Press Preview featuring CES Unveiled @ NY
November 12, 2012, New York, NY