CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Water is one of the most overlooked utilities in our homes, and new research by the Water Quality Research Foundation (WQRF) shows that highly efficient water use could be one of our greatest money and energy saving measures. The WQRF study – “Evaluation of Relative Effects of Hardness, Detergent Dose and Temperature to Evaluate Stain Removal Efficacy and/or Use of Less Laundry Detergent at Lower Water Temperatures” – found that soft water can reduce detergent use by as much as 50 percent and heating costs by up to 24 percent. Culligan©, a 75-year global leader of innovative water treatment systems, is helping homeowners to achieve these savings with the national launch of its new Culligan High Efficiency (HE) Water Softener, which uses patented “smart” electronics to deliver economic, efficiency and environmental benefits.
“For people looking to create a home that is energy efficient and eco-friendly, it simply makes sense to address their water usage. Culligan’s new HE Water Softener dramatically reduces salt, water and electricity – plus associated operating costs – by nearly half compared to traditional softeners,” said Curt Hilliard, senior vice president of marketing at Culligan. “With the ability to be controlled remotely, alert homeowners of low salt levels and adjust to changing water conditions, the Culligan HE is truly a ‘smart’ solution.”
The Science behind Smarter Softening
The U.S. Department of Energy claims that water heating can account for 14 to 25 percent of the energy consumed in the home, making it the second highest energy consuming area, next to heating and cooling. Here’s how the unique features of Culligan’s HE Water Softener help to save homeowners money, time and the environment:
Save Money: Extra Efficiency Reduces Operating Costs
- The Culligan HE Water Softener reduces operating costs by 60 percent versus time clock regeneration softeners.
- Patented Culligan Aqua-Sensor® technology monitors and automatically adjusts to changes in water chemistry to optimize salt and water usage.
- The proportional brining feature monitors water consumption and regenerates only the exhausted (used) resin rather than regenerating the whole tank at the same time.
- The highly efficient Culligan Dial-a-Softness® control valve is unique to the industry and allows consumers to minimize the slippery feel often associated with soft water.
Save Time: Easy to Use with “Set It and Forget It” Convenience
- A remote display lets consumers monitor the status of their softener in real time from virtually anywhere in the home.
- The Culligan Smart Brine tank monitors salt usage so homeowners always know exactly how much salt they have left in the tank and when they need to refill it. The system will also alert homeowners immediately if a maintenance issue occurs.
- The electronic bypass allows consumers to bypass their softener when they want to do things like water their lawn. The bypass switch is connected to a timer so it automatically turns itself off after a pre-set amount of time.
- An improved controller design with five year battery back-up with low batter alarm prevents the loss of all of personal settings and keeps the system functioning in the event of a power outage.
- The telemetry function connects the softener to a local Culligan dealer via phone and alerts the dealer to low salt, filter life, product flow rate and other critical diagnostics, providing total peace of mind.
Save the Planet: Environmentally Friendly Means Less Waste
- By softening the water, the high efficiency system reduces the amount of soaps and cleaning aids for laundry, dishwashing, bathing, skin, hair and more. Savings can add up to nearly $7752 per year, allowing families to follow greener practices in their home.
- Energy consumption goes down due to less hard water scale buildup on plumbing and appliances that can tax the performance of dishwashers, water headers and washing machines and shorten their lifespan.
- Reducing salt (up to two tons over the life of the softener) means less salt consumption and less impact on the planet.
- In just 10 years, homeowners can save more than 2.5 tons of salt and 20,000 gallons of water, using Culligan’s patented Aqua-Sensor technology.3
“Residents should ask themselves if their current softener meets their efficiency criteria and, if not, whether they should consider upgrading to a system that not only saves them money, but makes their lives easier. The Culligan HE offers the convenience and reliability they need to benefit from soft water throughout the home – in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room and everywhere where water is used,” added Hilliard.
Culligan’s new HE Water Softener is currently available. For more information and to find a Culligan dealer near you visit www.culligan.com or call 1-800-CULLIGAN today.
Culligan has been recognized as the world leading innovator and provider of filtration systems for nearly 75 years. Headquartered in the Chicago area, Culligan maintains offices in 11 countries, dealers and licensees in over 90 countries, and a network of more than 700 franchise and company-owned dealers across North America. Culligan offers the most extensive water treatment product line in the world, and its solutions have been backed by the Good Housekeeping Seal, highlighted as a Consumers Digest “Best Buy” and featured on the “Designing Spaces” and “DIY: Deconstruction” national television shows. Culligan is also a founding member of the Water Quality Association and contributing donor to the Water Quality Research Foundation, the research arm of the water quality improvement industry.
146% less versus a time clock regeneration softener
2Compiled from the following sources: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, U.S. Dept. of Labor, National Industrial Conference Board, Water Conditioning Research Council, National Restaurant Assn., American Laundry Institute, Orange County California Research Study, U.S. Bureau of Standards, University of Illinois, University of New Mexico.
3Savings are calculated using a metered water softener over 10 years, under varying conditions, as a comparison.