DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/6f78ea/pulmonary_arterial) has announced the addition of GlobalData's new report "Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) - Drug Pipeline Analysis and Market Forecasts to 2016" to their offering.
GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist, has released its latest research, Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) - Drug Pipeline Analysis and Market Forecasts to 2016, which provides key data, information and analysis on the PAH market. The report provides a comprehensive overview of the annualized market data from 2001 to 2009, and forecasts forward seven years to 2016. The research also includes market characterization, opportunities, the unmet needs, competitive assessments, the product profiles of major marketed products and promising drugs in the pipeline, an overview on discontinued projects, implications for future market competition, and the key players of the aPAH market.
The Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Market is Forecast to Show a High Growth Rate to 2015, but will Diminish in 2016
GlobalData has estimated the global Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) market to have been worth $2,653m in 2009. According to the Venice 2003 revised classification system, PAH is categorized as World Health Organization (WHO) Group I - PAH. Prior to 2001, no effective drug was approved for the treatment of PAH. Only supportive care medication such as anticoagulants, diuretics, oxygen, digoxin and calcium channel blockers were given to the patients. In 2001, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Tracleer as the treatment for patients with PAH. This drug was a registered trademark of Actelion Ltd. The sales of Tracleer grew rapidly due to a high patient switch over rate. The drug had a better efficacy and safety profile compared to the previously used off-label drugs. The FDA also approved three more drugs, Remodulin, Ventavis, and Revatio in 2002, 2004, and 2005 respectively for the treatment of PAH. However, these three drugs accounted for only a 24% market share to 2005. Between 2005 and 2009, the PAH market grew at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 39.2% and recorded revenues of $2,653m in 2009. According to GlobalData's analysis, the PAH market is forecast to increase at a CAGR of 5% annually over the next six years to reach $3,569m by 2015. Tracleer, the major revenue generator of the PAH market is due to go off patent by November 2015. The patent expiry of this drug is expected to diminish the market in 2016 by 25% to 27%. Until this time, the growth of the PAH market is primarily attributed to increased competition among existing products, the release of new and enhanced treatment options, and the development of safer and more efficacious therapies. The PAH market growth will be further supported by the increased uptake of promising molecules in the pipeline, combination therapies such as epoprostenol plus bosentan and epoprostenol plus sildenafil. In 2009, Actelion Ltd, with its key drug Tracleer, was the leading player in the global PAH market.
The scope of the report includes:
- Annualized global PAH market revenues data from 2005 to 2009, forecast forward for seven years to 2016.
- Geographic markets covered in this report include the US, the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and Japan.
- Pipeline analysis data provides a split across different phases, mechanism of actions being developed and emerging trends. Key classes of mechanism of action include endothelin receptor antagonists, platelet aggregation inhibitors, phosphodiesterase inhibitors, serotonin pathway antagonists, angiotensin receptor antagonists, P2Y 12 receptor inhibitors, PDE5 inhibitors, prostacyclin (PGI2) agonists, nitric oxide synthetase inhibitors.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global PAH market. Key market players covered are Actelion Ltd.,United Therapeutics Corporation, Bayer AG, Gilead Sciences, Pfizer Inc., Novartis AG, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Sanofi-Aventis, Eli Lilly and Company, Lung RX and GlaxoSmithKline Plc.
- Insightful reviews of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs and the implications for the future market associated with PAH.
- Actelion Ltd.
- United Therapeutics Corporation
- Bayer AG
- Gilead Sciences
- Pfizer AG
- Novartis AG
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Lung RX
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/6f78ea/pulmonary_arterial